Physiotherapy is an evolving occupation, which aims to improve the physical function of patients. This is achieved by decreasing pain, increasing strength and mobility and re-teaching movements that a patient’s body cannot perform.
Although all patients are welcome at StepMed we have a special interest in assisting those with neurological problems (problems with the brain, spine or peripheral nerves).
Who would benefit from physiotherapy at StepMed?
- Developmental problems
- Delayed milestones
- Cerebral palsy
- Hypotonic patients
- Metabolic disorders
- Neonatal / prematurely born children
- Children admitted to the Neonatal ICU
- Erb’s palsy
- Spina bifida
- Other Neural tube abnormalities
Patients with upper motor neuron lesions
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Parkinson’s disease
- Patients with balance problems
- Pusher syndrome
- Cerebral meningitis / encephalitis
- Intracranial abscess
- Cancer affecting the brain or spinal cord
- Multiple sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Arnold Chiari syndrome
Patients with lower motor neuron lesions
- Peripheral neuropathies
- Bell’s Palsy
- Transverse myelitis
- Motor neuron disease
- Muscle dystrophies
- Multiple injuries
- Chronic pain
Which body systems do we impact?
What are our aims in therapy?
Our aim at StepMed is to enable all patients to achieve their maximal physical potential. We aim to assist the patient to obtain
- Medical stability
- Maximal function
- Maximal re-integration in society.
Why choose Physiotherapy at StepMed?
- At StepMed we provide good quality treatments.
- We do not believe in treating the symptoms alone. Instead we look for the problem in the body and work to correct it.
- Patients with neurological problems need specialised treatment to prevent their conditions from becoming worse.
- We intend to give hope where there is no hope and to inspire our patients to be the best they can.
As physiotherapists we are but one of the facilitators of the rehabilitation process. It is Important that the team, family and patient all take each other’s hands and work together. In such a way we can achieve the best results.