Stepmed Rehab (Pty) LTD Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Statement
Stepmed Rehab (PTY) Ltd consists of three distinct, separate disciplines:
- The Physiotherapy practice of Nel, Kruger and Associates Inc
- The Occupational Therapy practice of Mariaan Teubes,
- The Speech Therapy Practice Lourens Speech Therapy & Audiometry
When it comes to the protection of personal information, the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (POPIA), is there to protect you. Here is more information on this Act, what you should know about it and how we at Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD has complied:
What is POPIA
POPIA was enacted in November 2013 to enhance the Constitutional right to privacy that we all enjoy and to ensure the safeguarding of personal information processed by public and private bodies. It sets out eight conditions which are the requirements for the processing of personal information. Key sections of POPIA came into force on 1 July 2020, and responsible parties (such as Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD) that process personal information of natural and juristic persons (data subjects) have until 1 July 2021 to ensure full compliance. As a responsible party, Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD is entrusted with the personal information of our patients, main members of medical funders, family members, staff, service providers and third-party operators and we are therefore obligated to process this information in line with the law.
What is defined as personal information?
Personal information is information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person or existing juristic person, that relates to, among others, the race, gender, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, physical, mental, spiritual, economic, cultural, or social identity; their health, educational or financial history; as well as identifying numbers and addresses including biometric information belonging to either an identifiable living natural person or an existing juristic person.
The eight conditions for lawful processing of personal information:
- Accountability: Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD must be accountable for the personal information it processes or holds in its possession.
- Processing limitation: Personal information must be processed in a lawful and reasonable manner. The purpose for processing the information must be lawful, adequate, relevant, and not excessive.
- Purpose specification: The purpose for processing personal information must be specific, explicitly defined, and lawful.
- Further processing limitation: The reason for processing personal information further must be compatible with the original purpose of collection.
- Information quality: We are required to take practicable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is complete, accurate, not misleading and updated.
- Openness: Personal information must be processed in a way that allows the data subject to know what is happening to their personal information.
- Security Safeguards: We must ensure that there are sufficient security safeguards in place to secure the integrity and confidentiality of the personal information in our possession.
- Data subject participation: Data subjects have a right to access to their personal information and to correct and update their personal information.
Consent (ask to see our detailed consent form)
It is important to note that Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD require your consent prior to collection of your personal information and before we can render a service to you and your dependents.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information and have a choice whether to accept these terms and conditions.
By submitting your dependents’ relevant personal information, you confirm that you are duly authorised to share such information with us. We will furthermore process their information for the purposes and in the manner set out in this Privacy Statement.
If you are giving consent for a person under 18 (a minor), you confirm that you are a competent person (for example a parent, legal guardian or a legal representative appointed by a court to manage the finances, property, or estate of another person unable to do so because of mental or physical incapacity.) and that you have authority to give their consent on their behalf.
If you share your personal information with any third parties associated with us, we will not be responsible for how they use this information nor be responsible for any loss suffered by you or your dependents.
Puroses for the collection of your information
- For the provision of health care services to you and your dependents.
- For the administration of you and your dependents’ interactions with Stepmed Rehab INC including but not limited to scheduling appointments, referrals to hospital and /or other healthcare professionals, procuring tests and diagnostic procedures, and the processing/payment of accounts, debt collection, etc.
- For claim submissions to your medical scheme (where applicable).
- For the provision of relevant information to a contracted third party who requires this information to provide a healthcare service to you or your dependents.
- To share your personal information with external health administrators, managed care providers and other healthcare practitioners for them to assess or evaluate certain clinical information, in the event that you are subject to such a clinical assessment.
- To communicate or report to any state regulatory or any other governance body on any matter relating to your personal information that we are by law obliged to communicate and report on.
Sources of collecting of your personal private information
- You or a competent person on your behalf.
- Other relevant sources, including other medical practitioners and contracted service providers.
Sharing of your personal information
- Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD will provide your personal information to any entity with whom you or your dependent’s already have a relationship (example your referring doctor to Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD), trust fund managers and lawyers, or where you or your dependent’s have applied for a product, service, or benefit from such an entity (example assistive devices service providers)). This information will be provided for the administration of you or your dependent’s products or benefits with such entities.
- If a third party asks Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD for any of your personal information, we will share it with them only if:
- If you have already given your consent for the disclosure of this information to that third party.
- Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD have a legal or contractual duty to give the information to that third party.
- Transferring your personal information outside the borders of the Republic of South Africa where appropriate, for example to transfer to international rehabilitation centres for foreign visitors to South Africa.
- You have the right to ask Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD to update, correct or delete your personal information, unless the law requires us to keep it.
- Where we cannot delete your personal information, we will take all practical steps to de-personalise it. Where Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD is required by law to collect and keep personal information, we shall do so. At a minimum, this includes the following legislation:
- Medical Schemes Act, 1998
- The Consumer Protection Act, 20083
- The Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013
- Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 2002
- Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2002
- We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information in respect of a formal request for such information. We are entitled to charge a fee for this service.
Your right to complain
If you believe that Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD has used your personal information contrary to this Privacy Statement, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator, under POPIA, but we encourage you to first contact Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD to resolve the complaint.
If, thereafter, you feel that we have not resolved your complaint adequately, kindly contact:
The Information Regulator:
JD House 27 Stiemens Street
PO Box 31533
We welcome any questions that you might have. Please direct these email@example.com
Stepmed Rehab (PTY) LTD Directors
(Dirk Lourens, Elzette Kruger, Hester Nel, Mariaan Teubes, Ronel Lourens)